In South Bohemia, cycle tourism is as good as it gets.
Here you’ll find leisurely bike paths for families with kids, as well as the more mountainous terrains of the Šumava National Park and its foothills. The choice is yours, and we’re here to help you make that choice, as well as rent you bikes, assuming you haven’t brought your own. Practically all you need to do is get on your bike and go, whether directly from the campground or by car to one of our recommended starting points:
1. You can enjoy the view of Kleť mountain right from the campground, which stands 1,084 m tall and offers a relatively challenging ride to the top, something experienced riders are sure to enjoy.
2. How about taking the Lipno Main Highway. This is a bike path that’s about 54 km long that runs along the left side of the reservoir. If you’re up for the challenge, start your ride in the town of Vyšší Brod, which lies approx. 40 minutes away from the campground by car. You’ll cycle in the direction of Loučovice and towards the Lipno Dam, then onward to Frymburk, Černá v Pošumaví, Hůrka, and all the way to Horní Planá, and finish your ride in Nová Pec. The elevation difference for this path is 361 m. From here, you can either get picked up or head back by train or bus.
3. If you’d like to keep on riding around Lipno, however, of course you can. There are 108 km of local bike paths in total. And another cycling tip, for instance, is the 83 km ride that starts in Hůrka, passses through Horní Planá, Nová Pec, Nové Chalupy, Bližší Lhota, Zadní Hamry, Horní Přestice, Přední Výtoň, Lipno Nad Vltavou, Frymburk, Černá v Pošumaví, and back to Hůrka. The elevation difference here is about 800 m.
4. If elevation gain isn’t for you and you’d rather just ride downhill, you can do that at Lipno as well. Simply take the 60 km long path from Jelení Vrchy through Přední Výtoň, Loučovice, Vyšší Brod, and all the way to Rožmberk nad Vltavou.
5. If you’d really like to “work up a sweat” and are capable of riding 100 km with an elevation gain of 1,267 m, start in Hůrka and ride through Černá v Pošumaví, Světlík, Frymburk, Slupčná, Lipno nad Vltavou, Loučovice, Čertova Stěna, and all the way to Vyšší Brod. Then onward to Mnichovice, Kaplička, Spáleniště, Pasečná, Kyselov, Račín, Přední Zvonková, Zadní Zvonková, Huťský Dvůr, Schwarzenberský kanál, Nová Pec, Horní Planá, and finally back to Hůrka.